Grants are made to tax-exempt 501(c)(3) independent and educational institutions. There are no grants awarded to individuals.
Applications must be submitted exclusively through the Mathers Portal.
The process for application is as follows:
- Registration – You must first register on the Mathers Foundation portal. Once your registration is approved, you will be assigned a username and password. This will be sent via email to the address indicated on your registration.
- Step 1 – Letter of Intent – The LOI is similar to the legacy “Query” step of the application process, but will be submitted through the portal. The LOI requires submission of a short summary of the proposed research project, a preliminary set of aims, discussion of previous or related work, and a budget estimate. LOI should be accompanied by the Principal Investigator’s C.V. and history of previously published research studies. Based on query reviews, formal proposals will be invited.
- Step 2 – Proposal – The Proposal step of the application process will require the submission of a detailed description of the project, expanding on the information provided in the LOI. If you are invited to submit a proposal, you will be notified via email to log into the portal and complete your application. The proposal will include a series of questions to answer, and will require a PDF attachment which should include the following:
- Lay Summary
- Specific aims of the proposed investigation, and proof of concept, as appropriate
- History of prior or related research (Such disclosure should categorize the proposed investigation in a context of the contemporaneous or historical efforts by other investigators addressing similar or collaborative efforts.)
- How the investigation will be conducted (test plan/methodology)
- What makes this investigation unique and/or innovative? Would you consider this project high risk / high reward? Is this investigation a new direction from your prior research efforts?
- Budget with detailed justification and allocation of funds requested. Indirect costs may not exceed 10%. (separate attachment)
- C.V.s of each of the team members involved. This should include primary investigator, and support staff that provide 30% or more of their time on the project (post-docs, graduate students, etc.) (separate attachment)
Applications are approved on a quarterly basis. A response, in the form of approval, rejection, or request for additional information, may be expected within 90 days of the submission of the formal proposal.